Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cricut Circle Magazine Challenge - Thrift Store Finds!

I just love this month's Circle Magazine challenge!  It's all about upcycling a thrift store find, and I love a good thrift store.  Here are the rules:

"We are taking the challenge from Lisa’s Design Star Feature for our contest this month!
Find something from the thrift store to repurpose with your imagination and your Cricut Machine. Please use at least four Cricut cuts in your design."  Contest is open only to Circle members.

It may surprise some people to know that my favorite thrift store finds are usually clothes.  I find many brand-name goodies for the kids, and even items for myself.  After all, why spend full price on black pants for work?  Or jeans to wear around the house?  And I can't believe that so far, none of the entries for this contest are using clothing!  So, I found this Old Navy jean jacket that looks like it's never been worn...
You probably can't read that Goodwill price tag, but I paid a whopping $4.99 for this jacket.  So, with my handy Cricut Imagine, I got to work on a design for the back.

In order to decorate the jacket, I pulled out a sheet of Cut Color Wear from PrintOnIt.  I chose my font from the Nifty Fifties cartridge for a retro look, and colored the letters pink using the Imagine.  Following the directions in the package, I ironed the pieces on to the back of my jacket.  Then I blinged up the letters using my I-rock and clear crystals.

For the front pocket, I used OkieLadybug's Cricut Head file to cut my pieces.  (The file uses shapes from George to make this cute bug head - thanks Okie!) I sized it all down in order to fit on my pocket.  First, I had to print and cut a green square on the Imagine.  Then I used the file on my Gypsy to cute the green pieces in the square, and the white pieces in a blank area of the Cut Color Wear.  I added I-rock clear crytals to his eyes, and green crystals to the ends of his antennae.

I'm thinking I still want to add something in the center of the back, but I'm waiting for the next new Circle cartridge, since there are lots of good scrappy images on it!  For now, I like it the way it is.

8 comments:

  1. That is FANTASTIC! You're in big trouble now thought....everyone is going to want one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Lord Hanna! I am up to my ears trying to learn how to make cards and you are decorating clothes!!!
    Nice work!
    Sandy Dehon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Cute... I Love it... need one :))
    --Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, love what you did. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did to the jacket. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so stinking cute!!!!! You need to tell me which iron on stuff to get!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a beautiful post . Now, This is really great. Really very great blog this has given me all the information that i needed, good for visiting daily it will increase our knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lori that is so awesome! I agree with Sheri every one will be wanting you to make them one. Hugs, Fran

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...