Friday, February 20, 2009

Make your own paper - on the cheap!

How many of us have looked at those expensive handmade paper presses in the craft store? I for one, have always been intrigued by them, but with no desire to spend that kind of money and add all the "stuff" to my already packed craft room. This morning, while browsing at Wal-mart, of all places, I found a crafter's bargain!

Shown is the Bill Nye (the Science Guy) Paper Recycling Factory for kids from Elmer's. What do I love about it?
  1. Everything is hand powered. No electricity, no batteries. Just people power.
  2. No extra "stuff" to buy. This box has everything you need; just add your paper scraps and water, and a sponge. (You'll also want some plain gelatin if you want to be able to write or stamp on the paper you make.)
  3. Recycling at home! My kids can get a hands-on demo of how recycling really works, and I plan to talk about the whole reduce, reuse, recycle thing. And I feel better for reusing my scraps at home than tossing them in the recycle bin.
  4. The price: this fun new "toy" was on clearance for $11 near the kid craft section in this store. Cheaper than most toys I have brought home (both mine and the kids'), and looks like it might hold our attention longer!
By the way, in case you didn't know, the steps in Reduce, Reuse, Recycle should be followed in order for the most positive impact on our environment! Luckily for me (I think), I was brought up to reuse pretty much everything. But I don't copy everything my mother & grandmother taught me; I went to school every winter with bread bags over my socks inside my boots because Mom insisted it would keep my feet dry. She was right, but I'm sure we'd all get some pretty strange looks wearing Wonder bags on our feet these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...