Tuesday, November 17, 2009

November Christmas Card Challenge Entries

It's been a while since I've posted; this has been a very busy month! But, I have finally finished my entries for this month's challenge at Christmas Cards All Year 'Round. It was a definite challenge for me this month, as the rules were to only use one layer. I'm a very "layered look" kind of girl, so this took some thought (which is probably why it took me so long to finish these!). I used a couple of tried & true as well as some new (to me) techniques, and here's what I came up with (click on the photos to see them larger).

Individual cards, and details, follow.

First up, I created a faux layered card on glossy CS. I cut an oval from scrap using my Cricut & George cartridge. I used the oval first, to mask my image area in the center of the card. Next, I used the emboss resist technique with a snowflake stamp, sponging on Moonstruck ink (CTMH) for my background.

I then removed the positive image, and put down the negative "frame", so I could stamp my trees in the oval, using New England Ivy (CTMH). I colored in details using a Cranberry marker and stamped the sentiment with Cranberry (CTMH). I added gold & silver brads to my treetops, and was done! Stamps are Holiday Trinkets from Close To My Heart.

My second card uses teh same stamp set, plus an old evergreen stamp from Club Scrap. I used the good old Post-it masking technique, as I couldn't find my Masking Magic, and stamped three ornament bases and decorated them. Colors used are Tulip, Hollyhock, Honey, and New England Ivy (CTMH), as well as silver metallic, which I embossed.

I really liked how this card turned out, & may even use it for our bulk cards this year! Nice & simple, and quick - even the hubby can help me with this one!






I think this was my favorite card, but a little time consuming for bulk production! It looks much nicer in person, since the details were a little hard to pick up with the light today.

I first created a "window" with my Cricut Design Studio and George cartridge. After cutting, I used this as a mask to stamp my tree, sponge my interior, and sponge my base. I also used it with a Bamboo marker (CTMH) to outline for more definition. My only embellishment was a little Fun Flock in the left/bottom of the window panes for a frosty snow look.

Stamps are Holiday Joy from Close To My Heart. I used stamp pads in New England Ivy and Cranberry for stamping, as well as Honey and Vanilla Cream for sponging. I used markers in Cranberry and Goldrush for ornaments. (all CTMH) Fun Flock was plain old White.

Here's a fun technique I hadn't used before, and one I'd like to do again! Of course, I think I'll need a LOT more practice with this one, or need to switch from markers to pens.

I used a Cuttlebug Floral Fantasy embossing folder on my card base, but I used it backwards so my image was debossed rather than embossed. I then used Topiary and Tulip markers (CTMH) to color in selected debossed areas in the design. Here is where I think some ultra fine tips are called for, as the coloring doesn't look very neat, IMO.

Using my stamp block as a template, I cut out a portion of the card front then stamped the sentiment on the inside of the card. (Sentiment is from Holiday Trinkets set.) To add a little "something", I used a few adhesive rhinestones and pearls to the centers of a few flowers.

For my final card, I used the old standby gold embossing. My "frame" stamp had journaling lines, so I masked those off using a Post-it while I inked up the stamp. I then added my sentiment to the center. A few adhesive pearls finished it off.

Frame stamp is a retired CTMH set, Key To My Heart. Sentiment is from the Peace on Earth sentiment set. I used an Archival Brilliance ink pad in Galaxy Gold, and CTMH gold embossing powder.


Notes: I am compensated for sales of CTMH products. I do not receive any other form of compensation for mentioning any of these products.

3 comments:

  1. Great job on all your cards!! The window card is especially creative. And I also really like the idea of using markers to color the debossed areas from an embossing folder. Don't think your coloring looks sloppy at all. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cards! TFS the technique on coloring debossed areas. I must give that a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...