Saturday, October 11, 2014

Grateful For...

Do you have a special tradition for Thanksgiving at your house? We do, and most people find it rather "interesting" to say the least. If you saw my Instagram yesterday, here's the promised Fall layout I let you peek at yesterday...


Yes, our Thanksgiving tradition is making a Fruiturkey. Long ago, I saw this idea in a Family Fun magazine and thought it would be a great way to keep my littles busy while waiting for dinner at Grandma & Grandpa's house. It also provided a healthier appetizer than stealing cheese slices off the platter.

It was so popular, and the kids loved it so much, that it became a required thing for us to bring (and fruit is not cheap in November, my friends). My son even tried to talk me into making one for Easter one year but I managed to put my foot down... So, it's become a tradition to not only make the Fruiturkey, but to take pictures of it and its creators every year.


I love the Pathfinding papers and Chipboard Complements for this layout. I added a custom title by using the fonts from both the Artiste and Artbooking Cricut cartridges, and added lots of paper flowers and brads from my huge stash. I also snuck in a Fiskars corner punch on the large panel.





To balance out the large chipboard circle element, I stamped a couple of large circles with the Season of Thanks stamp set. I made it multi color by inking the entire image in Glacier, the blotting on Lagoon, Autumn Terracotta, and Chocolate inks in spots of the stamp.


As you can see here, I also tossed in a few pieces from the Pathfinding Assortment, including some cork and wood pieces. I love mixing up the texture with little pieces like this.

I want to say a quick word about color and pattern choices while we're here. Sometimes all of the patterns in a pack are so awesome it's hard to choose what to use, and I know it can be difficult to know which color(s) to focus on.


This paper pack was the obvious choice due to theme, and here's how I chose which papers to use: I started with a sketch (as usual), this one from Scrapbook Generation. They do a nice job of suggesting where to put pattern and solid, although I freely admit that I don't always follow the suggestions.

This sketch suggested a large pattern for the long strips at the back, and since I love that "beauty pattern" it was an obvious choice. Small patterns were suggested for the other areas, and a stripe for the long skinny strips. For the large center panel, I chose the repeating leaf image, because the minimal shape also reminded me of feathers. I replaced the suggested patterned circle elements from the sketch with flowers because I thought they fit the season better. Finally, I chose the Olive cardstock bases and the chevron zip strips because the color matched the camo shirt my son was wearing, so it helps draw attention to him. And the Lagoon is used in the title for a surprise pop of color.

I hope you enjoyed today's fun layout. I know I can't wait for this year's Fruiturkey! (Apparently neither can my son, as he has been making suggestions for this year's model for about 3 weeks now.)  
I'd love to hear about your favorite Thanksgiving tradition, so leave me a comment. I'll choose a random commenter next Friday (10/17) and send them a little something from my prize stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...