Monday, March 4, 2013

Luck o' the Irish!

It's time for another challenge over at Scrappy Frog's Challenge Blog - this month's challenge is to use green in your project.  For my project this month, I used vinyl and made a custom umbrella stand / flower bucket. (We live in a heavily Irish-Catholic area, so many of our neighbors would not limit the use of this to March!)


I cut all of my images using Make The Cut software.  I found a simple shamrock image to trace into the software, then did a search for an image using the terms "celtic knot border".  I found several borders, but many were too intricate for cutting from vinyl.  I chose this simple knot design, and after tracing it into the software, I resized it so the border along the top edge is wider than the border along the bottom edge.

A note for those of you new to working on 3-D items: when attaching a border on an object like this that widens, it will naturally want to curve rather than lay straight.  You can account for this in the software by using a Conical Warp, however I find it pretty simple on larger items like this to just adjust it manually.  For this design, I did have to make a couple of snips in the design to lay portions flat, but I find that easier than the measuring required to use the software feature.  For smaller items like mugs and cups, the Conical Warp is a MUST, and pretty easy to use.

That's it for today! I hope you enjoyed my project, and I hope you find some time to come play with us at Scrappy Frog's this month!

1 comment:

  1. I perhaps shall simply keep silent
    It agree, a useful phrase
    You joke?
    Many thanks for support how I can thank you?
    It is very a pity to me, that I can help nothing to you. But it is assured, that you will find the correct decision.

    [url=http://shenenmaoyipp.altervista.org/helpful-tips-in-cleaning-whitened-colored-vinyl-bags/?doing_wp_cron=1358125367.4856688976287841796875][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
    [url=http://shenenmaoyiw.blinkweb.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
    [url=http://www.flixya.com/blog/5140470/Why-Fashion-Handbags-Make-Good-Gifts-And-Perfume-Does-not][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
    [url=http://shenenmaoyipp.eklablog.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
    [url=http://shenenmaoyipp.esporteblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...