Monday, January 19, 2015

Family Celebrations - Magnetic Event Calendar

I searched for months for an easy and attractive way to keep track of special events. My family is rather large, and my mom sends cards for everyone's birthdays and anniversaries. I saw several examples on Pinterest, Facebook, and around the web, but none of them was quite right. I wanted something where I could easily add (or subtract) when babies and weddings (or divorces) come along, and I finally decided that magnets were the way to go.

After much thought, and trial & error, I ended up with this:


This was pretty easily put together using a Magnetic Chalkboard from Close To My Heart and some white vinyl cut with my Silhouette Cameo.  The magnets are assembled from Base & Bling Circle Glass Covers from Close To My Heart, Magnetic Sheets from Silhouette, and images printed and cut with the Silhouette Cameo.


The dividing lines for the calendar were created as part of the cut file, but to save vinyl, and probably be easier to place on the chalkboard, you could use graphic tape. Graphic tape is easily found in the art supply section of most craft stores and even office supply stores.


Here are some examples of the birthday magnets. The domed shape of the glass cover distorts the type just a bit, so I was sure to choose a simple font that would still be readable.  The glass covers are easily attached using Base & Bling Adhesive Dots, or Liquid Glass adhesive.  I chose the Adhesive Dots because I had so many magnets to make, and it is faster and less messy. The Liquid Glass adhesive is more time  intensive, and needs a little cleanup, but produces a slightly clearer result.






Here are a couple of examples of the anniversary magnets.  I put all of the magnets for each month in date order down the line, making it easy to have cards ready to go out in the right order. And I can easily rearrange them when the next new addition comes along this Summer!

Want to make one of your own?  Order your Magnetic Chalkboard from me, and I will provide you the cutting/printing files for free (for personal use only) for use with the Silhouette.  If you're interested in a commercial license, or a cutting file for the Cricut, please contact me.




1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate them all, and invite you to become a Follower as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...